Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Familiar but strange

'Left home 2 minutes later than usual. 'Had to beat the red light to make up for lost time. 'Parked the card hurriedly somewhere close to the station, then began my running exercise for the day. Huffin' and puffin' I reached the platform. Right on the dot at 8:31am, the train that will bring me to work (in the City ie. Sydney) has arrived. I took an empty window seat - the usual sunny side on the top level of the train carriage (no. 3 from the tail end of the total 8 carriages). Slowly, gradually the breathing went back to normal. I could feel the right leg was a bit sore. Did I pull the same muscle again? Never mind, 40 minutes of train ride and it will get better. I was just so glad to make it on time. I can't afford to miss the train today, an important (boring?) morning meeting awaits at work.

I quickly surveyed the carriage. The Asian looking pregnant lady was seated comfortably biting a sandwich for breakfast. She must be in her 7th month now (more or less). A few months back and I didn't even know she is pregnant. She'll give birth in spring, then I probably won't see her in the train until next summer, that is if she ever goes back to work again.

The senior man (he must be in mid to late 70s) was engrossed in reading today's newspaper. He always does. Sometimes he will end up sitting on the same seat as I am. Then I will find myself glancing over to read the headlines at least. He gets off at the Central station, one platform before mine. I wonder what he does going to the City each morning. He can't be doing regular paid work, can he?

The Chinese lady was seated beside her son. The son who's probably in Year 8 or 9 will get off at the station after next. He goes to the all boys Catholic High School not far from the train station. After a hug and a kiss from his Mom (not usual for a Chinese I thought so), the son gets off. The Mom continues the journey with a nap. Could be a long journey. I get off before her. I see her with her eyes closed still. I hope she doesn't miss her stop.

There are more familiar faces. I call them the "regulars". Then, the "part-timers". A blind lady with a guide dog I see every Tuesday. A handicap man in a wheelchair I see every Thursday. The look-alike twin pretty teenage girls who go to University, I see them every Wednesday and Friday. They are my co-train riders. I see them at least once each week. We don't speak to each other, not even Hi, Hello or Good morning but we get used to seeing one another (er except for the blind lady) and like me, they probably take notice also if someone's gone amiss. For months, even years we bumped into each other almost everyday and yet we don't know each other, not a single name. We sit in the train and we do our own thing.

Familiar yet so strange...very strange...

No comments:

Post a Comment